[Dixielandjazz] Roy Crimmins RIP

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 07:05:30 PDT 2014

All the musicians listed are a great loss, to be sure, but, to me, Roy was
special: he was one of the giants!  He could get a youth band (he coached
the Holon City Big Band - a band of high school kids) and make it a
swinging aggregation in no time!  And his solos!  He elevated the Harry
Gold Pieces of Eight high above what they had been prior to his joining.
And, on top of everything, he was my friend.
Next week the jazz evening will be at the place of a friend who is an Alex
Welsh freak (also Jelly Roll freak), so I guess we'll have plenty of Roy.
I would not at all be surprised if 88FM plays a truibute - it devoted two
programmes to him when he was still alive, albeit not playing anymore.  Ms.
Pasternak even obtained the Roy King recordings fro that purpose.
Enough words - now it's time to listen to some of his music!