[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in New Orleans

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:20:24 PDT 2014

Ulf, and all
I have been to 7 of the 10 clubs listed and I agree one can generally hear
very good OKOM in those seven. Most of them are on or near Frenchmen
Street, which is just outside the French Quarter.

The 3 I have not yet been to (Mother-in-Law, Vaughn's, and  Sweet
Lorraine’s) I have heard about. From the names of the groups I see that
play in them, I would say chances of hearing what we generally call OKOM
would be 50/50.

This list:
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/mar/18/top-10-music-venues-bars-new-orleanswas
compiled by a local NOLA musician (and school teacher) Davis Rogan -
he
has a very interesting musical style that includes OKOM, but is more a
mixture of all of the varieties of music that can be heard in that city. By
the way, he was a consultant and actor in the HBO series "Treme."

Dave Richoux