[Dixielandjazz] Silly rules & regs

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Apr 25 08:24:14 PDT 2014

Ulf wrote:
>Also remember that in PRINCIPLE you, aliens, are not allowed to play for
public in US if you enter with a tourist Visa. It doesn't matter if you are
paid or not. You need to have an artist Visa which is costly and
bureaucratic to receive. On the other hand I have not heard recently of
anyone been charge by the authorities for not complying with that Visa
rules.

They could challenge you for carrying your instrument with you at Customs.
I have had that problem travelling to the U.K.  Why do you have your horn if
you're not going to play, they ask?

There are a lot of silly laws like that the one you mention, Ulf.  Did you
know an American citizen can not buy a Cuban cigar legally anywhere in the
world?  I mean, who is supposed to control that?  Cuban cigars are
everywhere in Spain.  No one would stop you if an American would buy one
here.  Taking it back to the U.S. is another matter.  It WILL be taken off
of you at Customs.  It is money that makes its way back to Cuba, therefore
not legal to buy.

A U.S. citizen cannot go to Cuba, either, even through a 3rd country (which
is often believed).  So, flying out of Spain to Cuba is a no-no for me.
They WILL stamp your passport, then it is a big problem next time you go to
the U.S.

Yes, after 48 yrs, I still have U.S. citizenship, although I am a resident
of Spain.  My kids all have dual nationality by birth:  Irish & U.S., which
is nice for them, allowing them to work in the U.S. or anywhere in Europe,
so some rules are good.   :>  The U.S. doesn't allow you to have two
different passports, but can't do anything about it if you gained them by
birth.

Jim