[Dixielandjazz] DJML Facebook - 707 Members!

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Apr 16 05:59:13 PDT 2014

I don't think it is that kind of security they're concerned about.
It's the sort that links you and your behaviours to your location and
those of your 'friends' and then shares all this with your friends and
their friends (in the loosest sense of the word) -- so for example,
you don't know who it is that now knows you have a $5000 banjo sitting
unattended at home while you're out to Mardi Gras.  Such automated
behaviour mining is not really feasible via NSA petitions under
Freedom of Information requests.  So that's just one scenario.

and then there's just plain annoyance security; on FB let's say you
get contacted by old highschool chums that you haven't seen in nearly
40 years, and so you say heck why not, eh? see what they're up to,
compare histories etc. So now they get hooked into your profile and
you chat a bit and slowly learn they're trouble, they're skid row or
in prison or recovering crack addicts or something, and haven't
matured a shred in 40 years and the chat frame just never quits day
and night.  Ok, so it was dumb to reconnect without *really* knowing
more about them, but now they'd know where you live and could access
your regular profile and they'd know who your friends are, as will
their own friends and now what? Do you *dare* disconnect and block
them out of fear they'll panic and start harassing your other
connections or even turn up at your door?  Pandora's box is already
open, you can't close it.

I don't think you get that kind of risk on a special interest mailing
list and while maybe *I* tend to be reckless about such privacy
issues, others may not be.  But the risk is a real and present danger,
and notice in the above scenario, you have done nothing wrong but
misjudge an old acquaintance who used to be a bit of alright, but
there's now no way out.

So I think it is fair to say that no one here is an idiot, if people
say they have concerns about any particular forum or technology,
chances are good they have good reason and we should simply respect
that and please please let it be and move on.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*