[Dixielandjazz] An Open Letter RE: DJML Facebook

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Apr 15 13:49:48 PDT 2014

Bill Sargent wrote, in part:

> For years, upon years, you guys have been complaining about
> dwindling audiences and disappearing festival and the seemingly
> inevitable prospect that jazz "OKOM" is dying.
>
> So someone like me comes along, and finds a way to expand the
> reach, grow the audience, spread the word, give more people access
> . . . all while giving  younger people an opportunity to develop interest
> . . . and all I get from some  of you is complaints. Those younger
> people are never going to come here. While  there may be an
> exception or two, this is not the way they comminicate.

Bill is exactly right on this point. If you want to reach a younger audience, a text-only email list housed on a server that's stuck in the dark ages is not the way to do it.

> For those of you who think you have privacy here - every single
> email you've sent is 100% searchable and readable by anyone
> anywhere in the world on the internet. NOTHING you have posted
> here is private.  Zip, nadda, zero, goose egg.

Again, Bill is exactly right. If you're concerned that "big brother" is spying on you, you'd better sell your computer, disconnect your telephone, and get rid of your credit cards and bank accounts.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers

Now, I suggest it would be a better use of your time to focus on your musical discussions than on whether or not what I did was or was not the proper thing to do. For everyone of you who dis what I've done, I have had numerous  people express grateful "thank you"s (and that wasn't the reason why I did  it.)

Very, totally sincerely,
Bill Sargent
A member of the DJML  Email Version since waaaay back when Peter moderated the  list.