[Dixielandjazz] Traditional? Dixie?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sun Apr 6 15:46:40 PDT 2014

all I know of Piron is in the 20's, and by then pretty much *everybody* was
playing some sort of jazz music; what might a society band of 1901 have
played if not ragtime?  Classical ditties?  Even Tin Pan Alley was a few
years yet to come.

the reason I ask, outside of pure curiosity (because I love this kind of
stuff) is that I am planning our 2014 tour of the local elementary schools
where we recount the live of Louis Armstrong as the embodiment of Jazz
music, and I love that quote of there being three kinds of music (four if
you count brass band marches, five with hymns ;) -- last year I lead off
with a bit of scott joplin and then an old traditional blues to set the
scene for young Louis growing up, so I'd love to add in a third type of
popular music; if it was for the 'dirty' venues, from what Pops tells us
via Gary Giddins, I'd say it is quite likely he heard a *lot* o' *that*
kinda music ;)

And "dicty"?  Not sure that clarifies my quest much ;)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*