[Dixielandjazz] Curzio Boogie Woogie

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 9 14:33:19 PDT 2013

I only ever found LPs on this label in bargain racks or the like. Some of them included sections of an encyclopaedia of jazz, and the general idea -- as in another series -- was that the buyer acquired instalments of a reference work with a crack-brained selection of dubiously representative music leased from various sources.  Presumably these went on general sale like bankrupt stock because there weren't enough subscribers to the series.  The other series with black sleeves turned up in huge quantities in German bargain racks. Along with similar programmes of Opera.

The boogie one draws on Black and Blue, and I have several others, all bought at low prices. While no doubt Marek would not consider the Lee Konitz big band volume as not jazz, I have heard enough of it to know that I'm no likelier to be listening to it than he. The Czech recordings he mentions also turned up on 2LP sets sold in German supermarkets, with other things including the Gjon Mili jam session with Lester Young et al.

Robert R. Calder