[Dixielandjazz] Free Music/ Truly upsetting

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 29 20:48:09 PDT 2013

Here's a good news story re paying musicians for a change.

For the last 40 years or so (since audio tape cassette machines became
available) Australian jazz fans have been interviewing jazz musicians in
Sydney and Melbourne whilst taping them. These are called oral histories,
and the resulting hundreds of tapes are held in the National Film and Sound
Archive in Canberra and/or the Victorian Jazz Archive in Melbourne. No doubt
there are others in other archives or libraries, or still in private hands.

Some of these tapes have been transcribed for articles in magazines or used
for the basis of books such as John Sharpe's DON'T WORRY BABY. THEY'LL SWING
THEIR ARSES OFF.

Recently Sydney drummer Andrew Dickeson started a series called JAZZ VOICES
and somehow got the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (our public radio
and TV organisation) to do the the recording. Andrew asked another drummer
John Pochee to do an interview. When John discovered that the ABC was
involved, he insisted upon payment, which was agreed. Since then the ABC has
recorded interviews with at least  three other  jazz musicians, and paid
them $200.00 each.

Presumably they will go into the ABC Archives, but I hope they will be
accessable to researchers and authors as required.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell