[Dixielandjazz] Free Music/ Truly upsetting

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Tue Oct 29 11:18:14 PDT 2013

It's like baseball.  Tens of millions love it, millions play it, relatively
few earn money at it, still fewer make a living doing it, and only the very
top few make really big money.

I never understood why the very best bandsmen in the Longhorn Band play for
free for 4 years, then aren't drafted and forced to play for a few million
a year in the worst band in Kansas City.  The economics of it just doesn't
work as a business model, I guess.

You keep playing because you love it and are good at it, and if you can
earn money from it, so much the better.  If you end up in The Rolling
Stones, cool.

Best

Jim Allen