[Dixielandjazz] Dixie World Connection at the 2012 Old JazzMeeting"GoldWashboard"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 29 15:23:28 PDT 2013

Scott Anthony wrote:
> Could it be “You Can’t Lose A Broken Heart” by James P. Johnson?

Dear Scott,
As you will have seen by now Dan Barrett has solved the mystery and I've posted links to the records.
However, thanks to you, I had great pleasure revisiting the James P Johnson recording of “You Can’t Lose A Broken Heart”, the theme for his 1949 musical 'Sugar Hill'.
The solo was recorded in Los Angeles in 1949 by Floyd Levin and released on a Pumpkin LP (117).
As you know, it was James P's last composition before a massive stroke put him out of action.
Very kind regards,
Bill.