[Dixielandjazz] Free Music/ Truly upsetting

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Mon Oct 28 13:31:32 PDT 2013

Unfortunately Many of those Doctors, Dentist,  Lawyers, Engineers, and other highly paid professionals are often the ones playing for free on their days off for fun, and to relax as they like to call it and unwind.  Too bad they don't hire professional working musicians to play in their waiting rooms, or Kids Weddings, Bar b Ques, and sordid other parities and gala affairs, instead of getting their comrades who also play  on their days off to perform for free.   Will they ever stop it, no not a chance and they are the ones who get the most agitated when this subject comes up on this list.    Some of them have also been the founders of Traditional Jazz Societies under the guise of "Preserving Jazz"

 As stated by Kermit the Frog, "It ain't easy being Green" or being a Musician earning enough Green to survive either.

Tom Wiggins,

Who can count the number of times I have worked for Free in my 40 year career on one hand and have fingers left over.
And most free engagements that a band does for free  and "Exposure"  only get them more Free gigs and Exposure to others looking for Free music as long as they do it for free.  Everybody has a Cause, to raise money for!!  Mine is to raise money to pay Professional Working musicians.