[Dixielandjazz] Duke Ellington - A Life By Terry Teachout

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 03:11:05 PDT 2013

> 3. The usual remarks about Ellington's longer compositions is a repeat of
> other people's opinions. Listen to them with another intention

I have, Bert.  I heard some of them when they were newly recorded and
lauded by the jazz press, and reached the conclusion mentioned in the
book.  Of course, some were published and performed long before my time
(Black, Brown and Beige comes to mind).

: Duke tried to outgrow the usual opinion about him being a ordinary dance
> band leader.Actually he succeeded with this pieces. - Creole Rhapsody ,
> (only the second version) has a beautiful third theme, played fantastic by
> Arthur Whetsol, with the best blending saxophone section sound you ever
> heard in your life.

I did mention that, and Reminiscing in Tempo, as exceptions.

> It's really one of the most magic moments soundwise Ellington ever
> achieved.- Diminuendo and Crescendo in blue IS a composition that makes
> sence form wise.

I agree with that, too.  And I like his arrangements of "Mary Poppins" and
"The Swan Lake."  But in later years he wrote Sacred Concertos and things
like "My People" or "The Drum Is a Woman," and those leave me completely
cold.

> Only it is 1937 avant garde Jazz, way ahead of it's time and actually
> beyond the performing capacities of the band members. (this was even the
> case in 1956 at Newport, there are flaws in execution)It was originally
> even not issued if I remember correctly, but was a huge succes 19 YEARS
> later at Newport.

True.  But the ctritics called it "a rabble rouser."  It is a fantastic
performance.  I have an earlier and slightly longer version from another
1956 jazz festival, also excellent.  By the way, am I correct that the
originally issued mono version has less public noise than the later
"electronically (dis)enhanced version?  I have the latter, but somehow I
remember the original as "cleaner."

> ,
> - Ellington's Black Brown and Beige in his first Carnegy Hall Concert, was
> the most serious attempt ever to change Jazz from dance to art. But the
> critics were not ready for that at the time.

Black Brown and Beige sounds like a collection of shorter pieces, some more
successful than others.  Same as the later "Mew Orleans Suite."  When I
read the review, I thought the "longer" referred to the later works.

> Almost nobody at the time however realised how fantastic the band had
> played it. It was condemned by the critics, who succeeded in demotivating
> Ellington developping further in that direction...... There are hardly any
> people today who have recordings of it.... how can you make an opinion
> about it if you never heard it? (I do happen to have one ...... Listen with
> your ears,

I have.  I've heard several of those Carnegie Hall Concerts, and I can't
say I like it all.  I borrowed them from a friend and taped what I liked,
which did not exceed one jhalf of the material.

Cheers