[Dixielandjazz] Duke Ellington - A Life By Terry Teachout

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sat Oct 26 09:03:35 PDT 2013

Here's my review of Terry's new book from the November Jazz journal.
Steve Voce

*DUKE *

A Life of Duke Ellington, by Terry Teachout. Gotham Books. 467 pages, hb
$30. Available from Amazon.co.uk, £16.27. ISBN 978-1-592-40749-1

For years discussion has raged in the world of music over whether Duke
Ellington was a composer or not. His longer works seldom showed much
development and were usually thought to be unconvincing. Terry Teachout
has a potent quote from Alec Wilder, who /was /a composer.

'To me the works of Ellington in terms of composition extend only as far
as the song form extends, that is the 32 measure convention of Broadway
and the radio, with slight extensions and variations...'

There have been more books written about Duke Ellington than about
almost any other jazz figure. As the author points out, Ellington was
famous long before the Swing Era and long after the big bands had faded
away. Duke could claim to have been, if not the major figure, one of the
two major figures in the music (interestingly, Teachout has already
written a similarly thorough biography of the other).

Although, as Juan Tizol points out in this one, the Duke was a poor
reader, he was a minor genius and a most interesting man, so there is
room for this latest in the series of accounts of his life. Mr
Teachout's is probably the most absorbing of them all. His research has
been thorough and he has assiduously followed up every anecdote and
incident with the result that his book is very satisfying to read and
full of tested fact about the maestro. Yet, despite the welter of
detail, the writing style is so good that this is a memorable
experience, as well as being probably the definitive biography. You
don't need another one, because everything is here and delivered with
style and accuracy (the author can be forgiven for, like everyone else,
attributing the ban on US musicians in Britain to the Musicians' Union
rather than, as was the case, the Ministry of Works).

Duke was a late starter. His first recordings in 1926, which I reviewed
recently in this magazine, were stilted at a time when Armstrong,
Bechet, King Oliver and James P Johnson had already made jazz recordings
that showed them at or near their best. However, Duke soon caught up and
overtook his rivals -- at the time he was the only bandleader who wrote
most of the material that his musicians played. There's an extensive and
revealing account of Duke's relationship with Irving Mills and his time
at the Cotton Club. In February 1929 CBS started broadcasting the band
coast to coast from the Cotton Club and thus it became widely known
outside New York. (The number of radio listeners jumped from 16 million
in 1925 to 60 million in 1930).

The author doesn't pull any punches on Duke's behalf, and easily
penetrates the facade that Ellington presented to the world. Although he
would have been pleased with the thoroughness of the profile, I don't
think Duke would have appreciated its frankness (would Count Basie have
worn a corset?).

Duke liked to assume power over his situations. 'I'm easy to please. I
just want to have everybody in the palm of my hand,' he said.

'What you need to do is wake up after two o'clock, make phone calls, but
don't move an inch,' he told his son Mercer. 'Just lie flat on your back
and phone, and tell everybody everything that has to be done, and lay
all your plans without going out anywhere... when you come downstairs
you'll have prepared for your day, and you'll be the Greatest.'

The major sidemen are comprehensively dealt with individually. Mr
Teachout has calculated that 900 musicians passed through the band.

Billy Strayhorn is portrayed at length. The book reiterates the fact
that Duke shifted segments of compositions in a way that bewildered his
associates. In 1953 he did this to one of Strayhorn's pieces and
Strayhorn was so upset that he left the band for two and a half years.

I had known for many years that Ellington had alienated Lawrence Brown
for life by interfering in his marriage. The full horror of the matter
as detailed here is jaw dropping. Mr Teachout also looks into John
Hammond's role, not just in his relationship with Ellington, but with
other jazz musicians including Rex Stewart.

Overall Teachout's analysis of the music is good and his focus on the
1940 /Ko-Ko /as 'the greatest of Ellington's three-minute masterpieces'
is apposite. But was Duke's beautiful and simple /Across The Track Blues
/really 'one in which the unmediated emotions of the authentic bluesman
are transformed into the musical counterpart of a colour-field
abstraction, then put in a handsome frame and hung in the Ellington
museum for the purpose of quiet contemplation'? Nevertheless, such
pomposo is rare, and on the same page the author makes the telling point
that Ellington 'was a major composer but not an influential one.'

Teachout explains lucidly the ASCAP and BMI battle of 1941. Although
Ellington was and wanted people to think of him of as apolitical, the
book reveals much about his connections to the intellectuals and
Communists in the Hollywood movement with the show 'Jump For Joy' in the
early '40s. His first Carnegie Hall concert in 1942 and the subsequent
ones given there drew an enormous amount of publicity. We think of
Ellington as working the band on a shoestring, but at this time he had a
lot of money and the men were well paid. Additionally all the attention
hooked him a 25-week residence at New York's Hurricane Club and two
years of broadcasts from the city. This saved a fortune in travelling
expenses.

George Avakian, everyone's favourite record producer, was more than just
a friend when, in 1950, he brought Ellington and the LP form together.
'I had carte blanche, we were making gigantic profits on the popular
albums, and anything I wanted to do, I didn't have to ask any
questions.' It was a new Ellington Era, emphasised by the recruitment of
Paul Gonsalves to the band in 1950 and the departure of Johnny Hodges,
Lawrence Brown and Billy Strayhorn the next year. Newport was not far ahead.

There is a list of 50 key recordings that is uncontroversial, an
imposing bibliography and 80 pages of meticulous source notes.

Books on Ellington by Barry Ulanov (1946), Peter Gammond (1958) and
Derek Jewell (1977) seemed comprehensive in their day but soon became
outdated. Several later books depended sometimes on industrious
journalistic compilation. Stanley Dance's 'World of Duke Ellington' was
written from the point of an insider but was by no means a history. John
Edward Hasse's 'Beyond Category' (1993) is probably the nearest parallel
to Teachout but obviously, working two decades later, Teachout has the
advantage of later research.

It seems to me that there can be little more about Duke Ellington to
uncover and that Teachout's book, as in the case of his earlier one on
Armstrong, is the masterwork.

Steve Voce