[Dixielandjazz] Mamie's blues

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 19 19:57:26 PDT 2013

Anton Crouch wrote:

> I imagine that, like me, many people know the Jelly Roll Morton recordings
> of "Mamie's blues". The first stanza is
>
> Two nineteen done took my baby away (2)
> Two seventeen bring her back someday
>
> The reference is to trains and I had always thought that "two nineteen"
> and "two seventeen" referred to train route numbers (1919 and 1717). I
> still do but my belief was thrown into doubt when I attended the funeral
> of an old friend last week. all the ones I've located have "two nineteen"
written as "2:19". To me, this implies that the reference is to a timetable
(nineteen minutes
> past two o'clock), not a train route number."

Hi Anton,

I've never given it that much thought, but unlike you I've always thought of
them as particular times, not as route numbers, especially when they are
written, as you said, 2.19.  Which certainly doesn't mean that I'm correct.
If your first thought  of route numbers is correct, then of course they
could be 219 and 217 rather than 1919 and 1717. Be interesting if someone as
the definitive answer.

Best wishes
Jack