[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 12:36:34 PDT 2013

Last Wednesday I had the chance to experience young American jazz musicians
first hand - Emily Asher (tbn, vcl), Adrian Cunningham (reeds, vcl) and Jay
Lepley played for the Holy Lindylanders at the Zone in Tel-Aviv.  They were
joined by our own Hezi Hayit on guitar and Noam Elron on bass.
Although advertised for 10PM, they started playing only at 10:30.  The
dancers must have been notified of that - at 10 the place was almost empty,
but just before 10:30 young kids flocked in.  At least we - a friend, AmnonBen-
Artzi (an Israeli trombonist) and his wife could have a quiet drink at the
bar.  Unfortunately, they discontinued Chimay Blue, so we had to be
satisfied with Leffe.  Can't win them all.
And then the band took the stage, and started playing.  Wow!  Ms. Asher and
Mr. Cunningham are really wonderful!  And never cease swinging.  Adrian
Cunningham, wether on alto or on clarinet, is HOT!  What a strong, lovely
sound.  At times, hes strength and jumping style on the alto reminded me of
Pete Brown or Louis Jordan.  At one place, he started his clarinet solo so
low it sounded almost like a trombone - I don't think I've ever heard
anybody playing that low.  And I confess liking his "School Days" better
than Roy Eldridge's, and that's saying a lot.  Ms. Asher played hot and
sang well, whether playing standards or her own song "Sweat Pea" (written,
she said, in honour of her baby niece).
And the dancers reacted and danced their ..... off.  Quite a show, those
swing dancers.
As the group played only three gigs in Israel, one in Mitzpe Ramon in the
desert, one at  the Ashdod festival which I did not attend due to the
format - practically non-stop performances, with no programme to let you
know who is playing when (Ms. Asher said that "it was a l-o-o-ng concert,"
although her band did not play that long), and the third one in Tel-Aviv,
we should consider ourselves extremely lucky.
Donna bought a CD, so we'll have more of Ms. Asher to listen to.
Unfortunately, despite repeated reminders, nobody from our jazz crowd came
- it's almost impossible to get these people to hear live music, even if
it's just a one off concert by visiting musicians.
Cheers