[Dixielandjazz] FW: on board music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Oct 7 10:55:43 PDT 2013

John asked: "The recent film..." ? What film?...referring to ABBA.

That was Mama Mia, John.  Not all that recent, really.  When I saw the film
it was really the first time I paid much attention to ABBA's music.  Oh, I
knew it was good, etc., but being pop music I had never paid much attention
to the actual words of the songs.  The movie, which was a story created FROM
the words of ABBA's songs (not the other way around, where songs are usually
written to fit the story), really shows how clever the words really are in
their music, and why they were such a popular group.

Just another bit of shortsightness on the part of a brass jazz musician.....

I didn't pay much attention to the Beatles when they came out, either...me
being a JAZZ musician & all...what, me listen to some kids with 3 chords?  I
finally changed my mind when I heard the Abbey Road album, of course!
Still, as a trombonist, I don't often listen to the words in pop music,
which are often the main reason for the song.

Jim