[Dixielandjazz] Featherstonehaugh

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Oct 3 14:25:38 PDT 2013

> There was an excellent British saxophonist of that surname.  When I told people is should be pronounced Fanshawe, the reaction was disbelief.

Dear Marek,
Buddy "Fanshaw' [Featherstonhaugh, no 'e'] is correct.
Confirmed to me many, many years ago by musicians who knew him.
A similar 'rule' applies to some Englishmen called Ralph.
It is pronounced 'Rafe'.
Jazz authority Ralph Venables, is one of them.
And don't forget the many people with the name Cockburn (= Co-burn).
Very kind regards,
Bill. With many mispronunciations to my surname, including 'hey you'.