[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:13:28 PST 2013

Last Monday, three friends amd I went to hear Eli and the Chocolate Factory
in Cafe Dalia in Tel-Aviv.  A very nice place, albeit were it not for the
beer garden there could be no music there.  Eli Preminger has just returned
after a few months in the US. The band consisted of Eli on trumpet, Amnon
Ben-Artzi on trombone, and a rhytm section of banjo, double bass and
washboard.  My friend Donna Radin and a young clarinet players sat in for a
few numbers.  Nice place, good music, good beer, good food - who could ask
for anything more?  One snag - the band was not paid but rather "passed the
hat."
Tonight, some friends and I went to hear the excellent Swing de Gitanes at
the the Alley Theatre in old Jaffa.  In addition to very good music, some
of which - originals by the band members, ther was an emotional moment when
a person named Zelig came upstage to tell the public that he and his late
wife were great fans of Swing de Gitanes.  When the band (actually - a
trio) heard of his wife's terminal illness, it came to play for her in
their house.  Very touching.  Zelig presented the group with a painting
thereof by his brother.
Cheers