[Dixielandjazz] Just one reason I won't be watching the new "Great Gatsby" movie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 21 23:18:15 PDT 2013

Dear Friends,
I can understand some of our listmates' objections to the soundtrack of the new Gatsby film.
It seems to be another lost opportunity to showcase OKOM.
However, perhaps we are wrong to even expect it.
The Will Friedwald Wall Street Journal article (posted by Bob Ringwald) lists a few of the songs incorporated in F Scott Fitzgerald's writings and I suggest that there will not be too many of them on DJML bandleader's playlists.
Mr Friedwald also cites a 1977 essay by Ruth Prigozy.
My research reveals that the chart accompanying Professor Prigozy's study, 'Poor Butterfly. Fitzgerald and Popular Music', contains 71 tunes.
But, despite all my efforts, I have been unable to locate this chart on the internet.
I am intrigued. What else is on it?
Do any of our listmates have access to a copy?
Perhaps, my countryman Baz saw the list when planning 'The Great Gatsby' and decided that, apart from "The Love Nest" and "Silver Dollar", there was little else worth using in his new fillum.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.