[Dixielandjazz] Belgian Beer

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu May 9 20:41:32 PDT 2013

Quite apart from my Jack Teagarden and Hoagy Carmichael allusions, I do remember the magnificent off-pitch unison singing (if that is the word) mostly on one note, but with decorative yodels, of Pete Brown and other members of the band with Frankie Newton, celebrating the Onyx Club and beginning

"come with me and smoke some tea...  "
which is not about preparing or drinking Lapsang Souchong

Having spent a long time in Germany I am aware of legends concerning the strange things can be in Belgian beer, and certainly Hoegarden is brewed with wheat and flavoured with coriander.
Maize is the basis of some other brews. Not to mention cherries....
I do envy Marek his stewed black tea and his strong coffee.  Alas my quirky innards!

The drummer Kenny Clare was noted for travelling Europe always with a teapot and his own supply of drinking-tea. At a gig some time ago I was introduced to an octogenarian saxophonist drinking from his vacuum flask of tea during the intermission. I mentioned the Kenny Clare teapot, and he said he'd worked in bands with Kenny in the 1940s, and worked much more recently with young men fond of hi-tech drinks, and unlike him always complaining of thirst.

Skol, prost, sante, slainte!
Robert

You are ofcourse right re. the spelling - the way I speeled it it would have been pronounced "Hooharden" rather than Hoeharden (why the G is pronounced H rather than CH I have no idea).