[Dixielandjazz] Ever wonder about all of the classifications of music (not just OKOM?)

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sun May 12 20:25:00 PDT 2013

Back in the 70's I ran a jazz music shop in Winnipeg and I often pondered
this question of genre; I concluded there was no rationale behind it, the
concept exists only in the minds of the marketing departments of the big
labels as part of their Values Attitudes and Life Styles consumer
profiling.  The only rational way to partition collections was by a musical
geneology, placing artists who had played under the direction of other
artists in a chain of direct influence, a strategy that works pretty well
until the mass-distribution era starting about 1970 where we begin to see a
preponderance of new players who haven't really played with anyone, having
learned the craft entirely from records or from the newly minted jazz
college programs, and my whole grand plan fell apart.

So eventually I had to side with Duke: it's all just 'music'

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*