[Dixielandjazz] Passing the torch

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Fri May 10 20:32:23 PDT 2013

 Thank you Gary, for those nice words about Rosy and myself. (See below)
For many of us who truly believe in jazz education, some of the high points of our lives are seeing young musicians that we have at least helped a little, become seasoned and wonderful musicians.
And I do remember sitting in with your band and knowing that you had "done your homework!"
I am proud of the fact that I have done over 2500 clinics in schools all over the world.
In fact here is a funny one:
Years ago people used to come up and say "You did a clinic at my high school in such and such a year."  Then I got "You did a clinic at my parent's high school."  Lately I have even gotten "You did a clinic and my grandad's high school."  Whew'!!
Passing the torch is one of the best ways to hopefully keep our "America's Original Art Form" alive.
Here's to the next batch of great young musicians.
And while we are at it, we need to bring the music to "non-music" students as well to try to keep the audience there to hear the up and coming young players!

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com
www.getzen.com

Message: 2Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 21:44:00 +0200
From: Gary Kiser
I learned most of what I know (for what that is worth) from 12 years of sitting in with Rosy McHargue. He was a giant. He gave direction to myself, Dan Levinson, Keith Elliott, Dick Miller, John Contos (wherever he is today) and others. But, his generosity was ushered by our respect. He trusted us in that if we didn't know the tune, lay out. If most of his sit-ins were like the jam sessions hack mentioned before, I don't think Rosy would have mentored so many musicians.
I too need to applaud Mike Vax for his mentoring. I do recall playing in a Stockton festival jam session when I was 18 or so. I had been sitting in with Rosy for only a year or so at that point. I don't believe I had my own horn yet; I had a high school band tuba. I had no idea what I was doing. Mike suggested ways to play and helped me with wrong chords. At the end of tunes, I would try to get off stage and he pushed me to play a couple more. Either, he is one patient individual or he has the most tin of ears; I think the former. Ykes, that was 35 years ago.It was with great pride and pleasure that I invited Mike to sit in with Sac ? Pulses in Medford in 1999 (I think). I hope he heard a difference in my playing. In any case, he is partly the reason for that difference.