[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 125, Issue 5

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon May 6 12:12:08 PDT 2013

 I don't know protocol in France, but I almost never go anywhere without my horn.  You never know when the chance to play will come up. If you get to talk to the musicians on a break, heck - just ask.  The worst that can happen is that they say no.   And with an instrument as small as a clarinet, there certainly aren't any travel or flying hassles.  BRING IT!

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com
www.getzen.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------Message: 1Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:31:47 -0400 (EDT)From: Larry Garrett I'll be in Paris next week and close to a couple of clubs which feature trad jazz (Caveau de la Huchette and Petite Journal).  Is any one on the list familiar with the protocol to potentially (and politely asking to) sit in, or is that something that would be frowned on over there?  I've had the opportunity to sit in at various clubs in New Orleans (where many of the bands are very welcoming as long as, in the words of one trumpet leader one night---you don't suck.)  Just trying to decide whether or not to lug my horn across the Atlantic.  Guess I could always end up busking to pay for the trip.  Any advice appreciated....Larry GarrettKC Clarinet------------------------------