[Dixielandjazz] FW: The Nazi’s 10 Control-Freak Rules for Jazz Performers: A Strange List from World War II | Open Culture

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 06:39:08 PDT 2013

Hello Dave,
I've read the discussion, which reveals little.
Jazz was described by the NAZIs as degenerate Negro music, with the
addition of Jewish elements.  In his book "U Brzegów Jazzu" (At the
Jazz Shores), the Polish writer Leopold Tyrmand, who had been  a
Polish lbourer in GErmany during WWII, described an encounter with a
German officer who played Benny Goodman Quartet records on his boat
sailing on a reiver.  IN the book (I cannot find my copy anymore -
must have fot lost in moving) he mentiones asking the GErman how
playing music by a group of two Negroes, a Jew and an Americanized
Czekh went together with being an officer in the Wehrmacht.
The "rules" might have been invented by a Czekh writer, but jazz was
forbidden for real, and jazz players were persecuted.  There was a
film about it (I cannot recall the title nor whether it was a GErman
film).

Tyrmand advocated jazz in the days it was still forbidden in communist
Poland as a "decadent capitalistic music."  Sometime around 1953-54,
jazz underwent a metamorphosis: from "decadent capitalistic music" to
"the expression of the Negroes' struggle for equality," and, as such,
"kosher."
Cheers,
Marek (who experienced that metamorphosis)