[Dixielandjazz] Catherine Russell on "Song Travels"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Mar 18 10:19:39 PDT 2013

Catherine Russell on 'Song Travels'
NPR, March 15, 2013
As a child, singer Catherine Russell bounced on the knee of Louis Armstrong. Her
father, Luis Russell, held the position of musical director for Armstrong, and her
mother, Carline Ray, was trained at Juilliard and the Manhattan School of Music.
It was only natural that Russell would choose a musical path for her own life.
Russell graduated with honors from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts before touring
the world with artists including Paul Simon, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper, Steely Dan
and Rosanne Cash. In 2006, she broke out as a soloist with her debut album "Cat."
Russell's latest album, "Strictly Romancin'," was released in 2012 and today she
is a leading interpreter of the Great American Songbook. On this episode of "Song
Travels," Russell and host Michael Feinstein perform jazz standards with a hint of
the blues, including "I Cover the Waterfront" and Duke Ellington's "Mood Indigo."
Set List
Catherine Russell (voice), Michael Feinstein (piano), "Harlem on My Mind" (Berlin)
Russell (voice), Feinstein (voice, piano), "Mood Indigo" (Ellington, Mills)
Russell (voice), Feinstein (piano), "The Very Thought of You" (Noble)
Russell (voice), Feinstein (piano), "I Cover the Waterfront" (Green, Heyman)
Russell (voice), Feinstein (voice, piano), "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" (Fields,
McHugh)
Russell, "I'm Checkin' out Goom-Bye (excerpt)" (Ellington, Strayhorn)
Russell (voice), Feinstein (piano), "I'm in the Mood for Love" (Fields, McHugh)
Full episode:
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/15/174435003

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"Dad, if I never tell a lie, how am I ever gonna be President?" -George Washington