[Dixielandjazz] Strangers On The Shore

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Sun Mar 10 13:01:18 PDT 2013

A few years ago, around 1995,  I was playing with the Sultans of Swing (two
saxes, piano, bass, guitar and drums) at the old Sheraton Washington Hotel.
It's now a Marriott. We were playing for the coctail hour, so we played
softly, so as not to interfere with the clots of people standing, sitting at
tables and talking.  Dave Littlefield called "Stranger on the Shore," so I
placed up my clarinet and we did it fairly close to the 1962 recording, san
strings of course.

I was changing horn for t he next tune, when a younger guy came out of the
dimness to where we were standing.  He asked me, "What was that you just
played?"  I said, "Stranger on the Shore" by Aker Bilk, an English
clarinetist. It was the number one record for 1962."  He said, "My mother
used to play that record all the time when I was little. I guess it was one
of her favorites. You guys did it just like the record. It stirred up a lot
of memories." Then, he disappeared back into the dimness and the crowd.

I didn't think anything about the interchange, until one of the guys in the
band asked me, "Do you know who that was?" "No..." I replied. "That was John
F. Kennedy Junior!"  I hadn't recognized him, but later found a picture
somewhere, and sure enough, it was him.

Aaaah, memories of my days with Dave Littlefield in Washington.

Jack Bryce