[Dixielandjazz] Wonderful World

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Mar 10 11:07:49 PDT 2013

Personally I love the song “What a Wonderful World.”

I know we have been through this discussion several times here on the List.

I think it is a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics. Any song can be a Jazz song depending on how it is interpreted.

If I hadn’t of heard Louis sing it, I may not have taken notice of it, especially if I had heard it done by the likes of Tab hunter or Eddie Fischer. But, Louis can make any song swing.

I sing WAWW often and the crowd loves it. And I do a pretty good job of it, if I do say so myself.

As I said, any song can be played in a Jazz style. Note the album that the World’s Greatest Jazz Band recorded with songs such as “Hey Mrs Robinson” and “Up Up And Away.” They make those songs swing.

And, while I am at it, while I don’t much care for Miles Davis, I love the original Brubeck Quartet. They certainly play Jazz and certainly swing.

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.”
Harry S. Truman, 33rd President B: 5/8/1884 – d: 12/26/1972.