[Dixielandjazz] March 10, 2013: Pete Christlieb & Linda Small at Jazz Sunday - swingin'!

Kristy Reed saxyreed at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 03:24:03 PDT 2013

Marek,

What you've spouted is indeed PERSONAL PREFERENCE!  Not at all aside!  Additionally, to say Pete Christlieb is "not jazz" tells me you aren't too informed as to what "jazz" is.  And it tells me you haven't heard all he (and Linda) have to offer!  I had the opportunity to listen to their latest cd tonight.  It's not traditional jazz.  Not even close!  But it's definitely jazz, and while it's more modern than what you might prefer, Marek, it's incredible musicianship!

I like all styles of music.  I listen to everything from Kid Ory to Louis Armstrong, to Ella Fitzgerald, to Peggy Lee, to Benny Goodman, to Thad Jones, to Eddie Daniels, to ZZ Top and Pink Floyd.  I even enjoy Alabama, Hank Williams Jr., and Beethoven.  Play me a show tune, sing me a Kenny Loggins lullaby, show me the way to San Jose.  But give me quality music.  And as a reed player, I completely appreciate what Pete does.  And he does more than what you seem to think he can do.  Your loss.

Perhaps we can share that shot of vodka sometime - my preference as well.  But I certainly wouldn't want to sweep under the rug all the music I haven't learned to appreciate yet.  I love trad jazz.  It's in my soul to keep it alive.  I'd like more people to be exposed to it, and learn to love it like I do.  It's my quest to bring them to it.  Sometimes we have to think outside the box.  And keeping things positive is part of the process.  I'm grateful that I don't have your disdain for so many.  I'm not a fan of Brubeck or John Coltrane either.  But it's not because they aren't talented - they just don't speak to me.  You won't find me stomping on them just because I don't find them moving.

Marek, let's hear what you like!

Kristy Reed
saxyreed at hotmail.com