[Dixielandjazz] 3B`s

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 09:45:24 PST 2013

One man's meat, etc.,etc.
My friends and I heard BArber in Caesarea a few years ago.  Only two
of us knew what to excpect; the others were very disappointed - the
yall hated the wailing "blues" guitar!   Perhaps I should add here
that only Donna and I are somewhat mouldy - all the others are of the
erroneous opinion that Dave Brubeck, Miles DAvis or John Coltrane
played jazz!
Acclaim or not, I don't need to listen to things I don't like.  I have
only one Ball LP - his tribute to Fats, and even that one has too many
vocals.  I prefer a band with a piano - a strange thing to say by a
great Chris BArber lover.
Actually, I have later Barber, but not with the Jazz and Blues Band; I
have a CD with the DSC Band, an LP with his American band, and one
with New Orleans musicians - noe, mercifully, with that awful guitar.
Bilk is nostalgia to me - the first western band I heard as a kid (I
was 14 in 1955) was Acker Bilk (not MR. yer) and His Paramount Jazz
BAnd.  Still, at the height of his popularity jazz reords by Bilk were
a rarity - most contained a lot of non-jazz material, rvrn if hi
beautiful clarinet made "Stranger on the Shore" somewhat listenable.
The jazz content of what he played then was rather perfunctory.
Luckily, when the "trad boom" ended, Acker kept on playing and making
beautiful music (I heard his band in Edinburgh in 1992, and it was
like a dream).
Cheers