[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Ball RIP

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 8 16:57:20 PST 2013

So sad. I thought Kenny was indestructible.

Say what you like about his popular appeal, which those who like to call
themselves real jazz fans, always view slightly askance; he certainly gave
jazz in general a shot in the arm during that wonderful period in the UK's
music history we call "The Trad Boom" - mid-fifties to mid-sixties. It
should also be said that he was a very accomplished musician.

There were other bands during the period that contributed equally but Kenny
was really the big draw card with the general public and the teenagers of
the early sixties. In the boom days I would go to jazz clubs three or four
times a week and always put Kenny up there for an evening's visit if he was
playing somewhere in the greater London area. Actually, my band of the
period (The Mike Graham Jazzmen) played several of his intervals at the
smaller jazz clubs. Osterley Jazz Club was one, because I worked with the
guy who ran it.

It is even sadder that Kenny has gone so soon after a decision we made with
the band in which I now play. We did a gig recently and played a couple of
tunes almost note for note as Kenny played them - "Midnight In Moscow" (of
course!) and the Ellington tune "Saturday Night Function". They were a huge
success and drew the most applause from the audience. As a result we decided
to work on some of his other tunes. I am only half way through transcribing:
"I Love You Samantha" (1961 hit), "March Of The Siamese Children" (1962),
"So Do I" (1962), "The Green Leaves Of Summer" (1962), "Acapulco 1922"
(1963), "From Russia With Love" (1964)and "My Mothers Eyes".

Alex Welsh gone, Humph gone, Pat Halcox gone, now Kenny! My heroes one and
all! Keep hanging in there Acker and Chris because I still need those great
memories

And this is the style and presentation that made Kenny so successful, from
the first season of Morecambe & Wise, hence Black & White. The level of
excitement was absolutely guaranteed with Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen and I
always thought that was a key element. Incidentally, that is Paddy Lightfoot
on banjo and vocal, the brother of Terry another of the successful bands
from the Trad Boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq70-YUEdLE

And from the second series for Eric and Ernie. Here is the big one! A hit in
Britain and the United States:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8Os8nig74

And here on some Dixieland standards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZJ0Pok0nwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIlZze-Mu8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aoD5XB2eEc

Listening to that lot makes my eyes very watery (notwithstanding the recent
eye operation) and brings back heaps of memories.

The last time I saw Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen was in the Sydney Town Hall.
Even then I noticed the huge turnout of jazz musicians including Graeme
Bell, now also gone.

Vale Kenny. 'On you mate for a great job, so well done!

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin

REDLAND BAY