[Dixielandjazz] Louis and WAWW

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Tue Mar 5 09:06:12 PST 2013

Bill Haesler wrote:<snipped>
Is there recording, or video with Louis Armstrong
playing a trumpet solo on "What A Wonderful World"?
=====================
I am tempted to say "never."
Louis played cornet.
(the devil made me do it.)
=====================
I think the person to ask is Phil Schapp if someone
in New York can get to him. Besides writing an Armstrong
discography Phil owns all of the Armstrong
recordings. I know because I gave him the one
Lp he was missing. (from Poland)

For those who have never heard Phil Schapp,
he plays Louis Armstrong recordings for 24 hours
a day 7 days a week starting on August 4th each
year to celebrate Satchmo's birthday.

Phil can probably sing every lick in detail from
Bunk to Monk. If you ever meet him, fair warning,
do not ask him about alternate takes.

For example:
He can spend three hours describing the difference
of the 7th and 8th measures of Stardust that Louis
recorded on 78 rpm on three different masters,
same record date.

Note: Thanks to Mr. Schapp I now know that
Hoagy Carmichael spent countless hours in record shops
looking for the version with the 3rd matrix number.
It was his favorite recording of Stardust at the time.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com