[Dixielandjazz] "What ya want me to do"

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Sun Mar 3 19:34:40 PST 2013

It was also recorded by King Oliver and His Orchestra as "What You Want Me
To Do?" for Victor on 8 October 1929
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmYaGUNkDk
with King Oliver, Dave Nelson (t) Jimmy Archey (tb) Bobby Holmes (cl/as)
Glyn Paque (as) prob Charlie Frazier (ts) Don Frye (p) Arthur Taylor (bj)
Clinton Walker (tu) Edmund Jones (d).
Very Kind regards,
Bill.

Is it possible that the "Charlie Frazier" on this recording is the same
Charlie Frazier who played with the Jimmy Dorsey band from 1935 until 1943?
If so, it is a revelation to me. Charlie lived in North Arlington, NJ and
taught sax and clarinet in Newark.  He played with my father's band in the
late 1940s and 1950s. He taught me. He was a great teacher, but he moved to
Clearwater, Fl, in 1961 and died there in 1987. His son Rich is in Las Vegas
and was in the 1990s, the musicial director for Wayne Newton.

He was a nice man and a great musician.

Jack Bryce