[Dixielandjazz] Seeking State Street Ramblers record label

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 24 18:35:42 PDT 2013

Dick Baker wrote:
> "I Want to Be Your Lovin' Man" - recorded 3/13/31, released on two records:
>       Champion 16350 - as State Street Ramblers
>       Superior 2797 - as Speed Jeffries & His Night Owls
> Is the composer credit Ray Scheller?  Possibly Ray Scheller & Joe Bresland?

Dear Dick,
Regarding Champion 16350 - as State Street Ramblers
Based on the absence of composer credits on the Gygnet CD CYG1003, and earlier LPs and CD once in my possession, I suggest that there was no composer credit on the Champion 78 disc 16350.
As you will also know, Cygnet was produced by eminent discographers Chris Hillman and Roy Middleton.
If there was a composer credit on the label, as with some of the other State Street Ramblers side on the CD is would have been included in the booklet discography eg. (Melrose). For "I Want Your Lovin' Man", and several other from the same session they provide (----).
As the transfers were made from records provided by Charlie Crump, John R T Davies, Pete Whelan and George Wilson, they would have had access to the original source disc.
As you know the '78discography' (Online Discographal Project) website listing for Champion 16000 - 16500 series and Superior 2500 series lists the composers as RAY SCHELLER-JOE BRESLAND.
So where did the information come from?
Also used by Honking Duck
   http://www.honkingduck.com/discography/artist/state_street_ramblers
   http://www.honkingduck.com/discography/artist/speed_jeffries_night_owls
I have not been able to find a label photograph of the Champion or Superior label for the SSR item.
However, in the Record Research magazine (I have a full set) researcher George W Kay (who had access to the Star Piano Company record entries) serialised the Superior label.
And provides the following information for Superior 2797:

2797 GS17624 I want To Be Your Lovin' Man (Instr. Blues) Bresland & Scheller,
SPEED JEFFRIES & HIS NIGHT OWLS. (Lester Melrose) Mar.31- Aug.31,1932:135

The key to the format is as follows.

2797		Superior catalog number
GS17624		Is the Laboratory (master) number. As far as we know this number never appears on the Superior label or wax.
I want To Be Your Lovin' Man (Instr. Blues) Bresland & Scheller
			are the title, instrumentation and composer credits respectively.
SPEED JEFFRIES & HIS NIGHT OWLS in upper case is the performer credits appearing on the Superior label.
 (Lester Melrose) is the performer royalties category. This entry often gives away the identity of pseudonym which is common practice of Superior to mask the actual performer.
Mar.31- Aug.31,1932:135	 indicates the first and last dates, 'Shipped for Month', and the unber immediately following the colo: is the total amount shipped.

Therefore it looks like the composer credits fro this tune were not on the Champion label, but were on the Superior label.
The composer 'label' credit you are looking for looks like being Bresland & Scheller.
So who ARE Joe Bresland and Ray Scheller?
They are not in my ASCAP Biographical Dictionary, Kinkle or Vaché.
I then found this link:
   https://pipl.com/directory/name/scheller/ray/
RAY SCHELLER-JOE BRESLAND. 2798. CHICAGO SHEIKS. Selling That Stuff. G18389. 2/9/32. THOMAS ...
[ Superior by Gennett (numerical listing discography) -

The Chicago Sheiks is a Big Broonzy group.
The Superior release 2798 follows the Speed Jeffries record above, but the George W Kay entry gives Dorsey as composer credit for "Selling That Stuff".
I suspect that it is a misreading of the 78dicography entry, as it too shows 'Dorsey' for the Chicago Sheiks Superior credit.
Further research led me to the Melrose brothers and The Blues.
A red herring?
I think I'll stop for a moment and ponder my next move.
The 'christian' names for Bresland & Scheller must have an initial source somewhere.
'The 78 Quarterly' perhaps. (I also have the full set.)
Kind regards,
Bill. (who must get back to his JIA project after lunch.)