[Dixielandjazz] What constitutes a good solo?

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 21 12:14:28 PDT 2013

Others have already begun to answer this one. My observation is that most
solos annoy me. If I go to hear a concert featuring "XYZ," then I expect to
hear XYZ showing his stuff. If, on the other hand, the announcement is that
the "ABC" jazz band will play "Panama," then "Panama" is the star and I want
to hear that tune without "interpretation" from some wannabe star. I don't
mean I object to shifting the melody between instruments, I mean I dislike
it when everybody else stops playing while someone rewrites what William
Tyers produced.

And if I am at a dance, then I REALLY don't want any attention demanding
fireworks from the bandstand. I am there to pay attention to the woman and
any distraction from that defeats the whole purpose of the evening.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.