[Dixielandjazz] How to spread Traditional Jazz and grow an audience

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 16:00:37 PDT 2013

Hi All:

Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band  will be Playing the Big Gay Pride Parade in San Francisco this year on June 30th  where we expect to be well received and seen and heard by the One Million Plus in attendance,
It also has excellent Television Coverage.   I am quite certain it will garner us many good Bookings for the coming years and Many Wedding and Funeral and corporate gigs too.   No  We are not Gay, but neither is Money :))

We also will perform for Three Fourth of July Independence Day Parades, and a Concert for the City of Berkeley's 4th Celebration.  Getting paid for them too,

Our motto is:"  Go Play where the People are and where the Money is.  and it's  been working very well for us for 23 years now, as we have been continuously ignored by Trad Jazz Societies.

Every Jazz Society in every city should be sponsoring  their best bands to play in their city and regional Parades, dressing up and  marching along with them and handing out flyers to solicit new members in the Jazz Societies.

That my friends is how you Preserve and Promote Traditional Jazz and keep an audience and attract new fans.

The Music is not Dead,  I am certain that there are more gigs available in today's world and times than there were even back in the 20's & 30's   ya just gotta go out and get 'em.  and then deliver good music to them and get repeat bookings.  Any band that is not doing this is not working enough and not working hard enough to sustain themselves sufficiently.   Music is our Day Gig :))   Amazing how many Daytime gigs are out there every day of the week.

And all Bands should learn this song:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRz2k9rsO20

Here is another link to some good friends of ours who are doing the same thing touring the world and having a great time playing Trad. Jazz.  The California Honeydrops:  www.cahoneydrops.com

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins