[Dixielandjazz] Discographical punctuation

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Thu Jun 20 08:13:26 PDT 2013

Colleagues,

In discussing evolution, we get confused because of the flexible
meaning of the word "theory": To laymen it means "guess"; to
scientists it's a rigorous system for testing and proving or
disproving hypotheses.

Likewise, "index."  If you're talking about forcing a mindless
computer to place words in good alphabetical order based on its rigid
rules, then you may indeed want to remove all puncuation marks (or
even spaces between words) to get the job done.  For some purposes,
that's all you want.

But "index" can also mean an accurate listing of the items in
question.  Song titles, like books, are copyrighted, published
documents--published either in the form of sheet music or in the form
of records with labels.

The whole Stomp Off Index project started back in the early 1980s,
when I finally got a computer powerful enough to enter all my LPs
into a database and ask it for all my recordings of any particular
tune.  I was shocked to discover all the variations in titles and
composer credits I found across different records, even within the
Stomp Off label.  When I mentioned this to Bob Erdos, he was
dismayed.  He'd ask each bandleader recording for him to provide a
list of titles and composers, and that's what he'd print.  He asked
me to research the discrepancies and come up with a list that is
accurate to the best of our ability.  I've been working at it ever since.

But the Index aims at accuracy, not computerization, so it is a word
processor file that I edit by hand.  Therefore, you'll find "'Deed I
Do" in its correct place between "Decatur Street Tutti" and "Deep
Creek."  You'll find "12th Street Rag" between "Twelfth Street Blues"
and "Twenty Million People."  And you'll find "(I Got a Woman, Crazy
for Me) She's Funny That Way" listed under 'S', allowing you to find
it where you'd expect to look for it, but informing you that it
actually was published with a leading parenthetical subtitle.  Also,
whenever the popularly used title differs substantially enough from
the "correct" title to cause confusion, I've put in cross-references
to lead the user to the correct place: look for "I'm a Yankee Doodle
Dandy" and you'll find "(see The Yankee Doodle Boy)."

Bottom line: The Stomp Off Index tries to be extremely accurate and
complete, not computerized.  There's a place for both, which is why
you'll occasionally find me here asking for arcana to be found on
sheet music or original record labels.

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off Records Tune Titles
and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf