[Dixielandjazz] Who wrote "I Don't Wanna Go Home"?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Wed Jun 19 18:14:06 PDT 2013

In 1994, Ernie Carson made a record for Stomp Off of mostly obscure
titles, including one that went on the CD as "I Don't Want to Go
Home," composer unknown.  Later, Erdos decided he should have called
it "I Don't Wanna Go Home," so that's the way it went in the Stomp
Off Index, still composer unknown.  You can hear it by pointing your
browser at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/gohome.mp3

The lyrics are simple:

         I don't wanna go home
         I don't wanna go home
         I'm havin' too much fun

         No I don't wanna go home
         I don't wanna go home
         The night has just begun

         If they wanna go home
         Send the girlies all home
         Send them all--but leave me one

         No I don't wanna go home
         I don't wanna go home
         I'm havin' too much fun

The second chorus is the same except the bartenders are sent home
instead of the girlies.

I asked Mike Montgomery about the title in 2000, and he said, "Is
that the old polka-band song that goes....?"  And then he proceeded
to sing this very song!  He said it's a staple of polka bands in
Detroit, so I asked him to ask around.  At about the same time,
Robbie Rhodes said, "Somewhere on the net I believe I saw this as an
alternate English title for a jolly polka (probably Polish or
Czech).  You should continue to bug Montgomery, 'cause he still
performs at that old German Rathskeller in Michigan where the polka
experts often visit."

Alas, I never remembered to follow up with Mike, and now he's
gone.  But the rest of you are still here.  Does anybody know more
about this song?

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off Records Tune Titles
and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf