[Dixielandjazz] Record Collectors: Seeking Paramount 12200, Ma Rainey

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 16 18:07:41 PDT 2013

Glen Page wrote [in part]:

> ...however Sandra Lieb in her book "Mother Of The Blues, Ma Rainey" shows in Appendix A,  Classification
> of Ma Rainey's recordings the title to be , and I quote "Honey, Where You Been So Long?"  It is also shown thus in the index of songs.
> HOWEVER both the comma and the question mark are omitted in the discographical  listing
> of her recordings for Pm 12200 and the reissue on Jazz Collector JC L82
> Finally in Godrich and Dixon" BLUES AND Gospel Records 1902---1942" neither appear either.

Dear Glen and Dick,
By now you will have received my initial reply that the title on the label is extremely likely to be:
   Honey Where You Been So Long?
The Fourth Edition of Blues And Gospel Records 1890---1943" (the big book by Dixon, Godrich & Howard Rye) also amends the title given in the Third Edition by adding the ? mark (page 738).
However, to muddy the waters (a pun if you like), the book 'Ma Rainey and the classic blues singers' by Derrick Stewart-Baxter (1970. Studio Vista) [page 37] has a reproduction of the Paramount Record advertisement for the Ma Rainey 12200 release and has
   Honey Where You Been So Long
without the comma and question mark.
As, I now find, does the full page reproduction of the advertisement 'Paramount's Great Mystery Record' (12200) in Max Vreede's book
Very kind regards,
Bill.