[Dixielandjazz] Record Collectors: Seeking Paramount 12200, Ma Rainey

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 16 14:35:26 PDT 2013

Dick Baker asked:
> Does anybody have that record?  I need info from the B side:
> "Honey, Where You Been So Long?" -- is the comma there on the label?  The question mark?
> Is the composer credit Delaney or Tom Delaney?

Dear Dick,
Notwithstanding the variations you have found (as I did), according to Max E Vreede's book (1971. Storyville Publications) 'Paramount 12000/1300 series' it is:
Honey Where Have You Been So Long? (Tom Delaney)    Ma Rainey  and Lovie Austins Blues Serenaders  Vocal Blues
 [No comma after 'Honey", the ? mark is there and no apostrophe in 'Austins'.]
I have always found the information in Max's fine pioneering work to be extremely accurate.
A bit like your own compilations.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.