[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall youtube clip

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sat Jun 15 20:37:51 PDT 2013

Put 'em on a youtube and my young band just might ;)

but also realize that new players listen with new ears, and that small
children prefer simple foods and primary colours for a physiological
reason.  when presenting this music to kids, what they gleen from the
performance is much as one of us might take away from hip-hop or
balinese gamalan, which is to say only the gross structure and, I
hope, the *intent* of the music, and the effect.  So while there are
no doubt technically better players out in the world, it doesn't mean
everyone sees them.

A good example of this was given by Victor Wooten in his very
wonderful little book "The Music Lesson" where he relates his initial
shock at him, a jazz bass player who consistently wins the Downbeat
polls, being hired by bluegrass player Bela Fleck, and being told to
go listen to Bill Monroe records.  Egad, thought Victor, that's
alternating tonics and fifths, bonk bonk bonk bonk, he'll never
survive! But on actually listening to the old records he discovered
something else, that the bass playing was really full of nuance and
finesse, and really quite challenging to pull off.

I much prefer to have the kids come back to me and say who they think
is good and who they think is better; it gives me a much better guide
to understanding how they are progressing with their ears ;)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*