[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall youtube clip

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 14:15:01 PDT 2013

As to  the Preservation Hall snip on youtube----

I'm a fan of the New Orleans jazz style as played by
Johnson--Lewis etc during the 40s-60s ---as well as
most of the styles prior to the bop revisions.  The
PHJBs I've heard/seen up until now have mostly
remained true to the basics of that style although
sometimes short of the skill of their younger days.

What I viewed on the youtube snip indicated to me
that the necessary listening homework had not
been done to successfully present the music at
an acceptable level of "preservation".

There are bands in Europe (like Gota River) and some
in the US who can play the style at a very high
level.  Too band the young audience didn't hear that.

Ken Gates