[Dixielandjazz] Preservation hall Jazz Band

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jun 14 22:05:36 PDT 2013

Regarding the IA concert of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Gary Lawrence Murphy writes:

the kids watched the concert last night and greatly enjoyed the whole
show, were suitably impressed by the musicianship and especially with
the audience rapport -- in the final analysis, there is only *one*
instrument to master, the audience ;)

Wrong. I am glad that watching the concert turned your kids on. But, at the same time, I am sad that they have to be exposed to bad musicianship in order to get turned on.

Thinking that your audience is all that matters makes me think of listening to a youth band who’s trumpet player who jumps around a lot, plays wrong notes, but knows if he goes for high notes, it will extract applause from the audience. And youth  bands are not the only offenders. I’ve seen adult amateur bands do the same thing.

At least when a pro plays high notes to excite the audience, he is playing the correct notes and knows what he is doing.

It always amazes me when I hear a recording of the Hot 5 Band from 1927, the Benny Goodman band from 1938, the Glen Miller Army Air Force Band from 1943 or Frank Sinatra singing in 1946 and realize that the young people were going nuts over those bands – Quality bands with pro musicians playing good music.

Now a days, if a bad guitar player who can barely play 3-chords turns up his amp, puts a distortion box on it and plays crap, the kids go wild. What a shame…

Again, I am glad that your kids did get turned on to OKOM by watching and listening to the PHJB concert. I just hope they don’t then think that all they have to do to become a professional musician is play bad notes loudly, and look as if they are having fun.

The dumbing down of Jazz, America’s original art form, and yes, even Pop music is a crime.

 -Bob Ringwald