[Dixielandjazz] Skip the gutter

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 2 16:54:42 PDT 2013

Anton Crouch wrote:
> Partridge (/Dictionary of slang/) gives it as meaning "houpla!" or "over she goes!" and the OED, for "houp-la", has "an exclamation accompanying a quick or sudden movement". The only reference to "skip the gutter" in the OED is in the definition of "skip" as "to jump or leap lightly over something".
> Either way, it could be a description of Armstrong's playing.

Dear Anton and Gerard,
I also found the above and the following from other sources which (I suggest) have little connection with the goings on in Okeh's Chicago recording studio on 27 June 1928.
8>)

•"Skip the gutter", common phrase.
In old cant; a skip-kennel was a lackey or servant.
•Skip the gutter seems to be only an expression equivalent to "Houp la" or "Over she goes"
•Music Hall Song
Skip the gutter, tra la la! Tottie, do you love me?
Ting-ting, au revoir, girls there's none above me.
If you like me, tell me so do not let me linger;
Tottie, if you love me, oh 1 squeeze my little finger!
•skip-kennel n. [late 17C—mid-19C] a footman. [he skips or jumps over the kennel or gutter].

The term has to be an obscure US 1920s regional colloquial reference to something familiar to musicians at that time:
As with the other Louis Hot Five tune title (13/14 May 1927) "SOL Blues/Gully Low Blues".
But what?
Kind regards,
Bill.