[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 07:30:02 PDT 2013

Last Friday afternoon (3PM), some friends and I went to hear Eli and the
Chocolate Factory at a Tel-Aviv club.  Paid entry (slightly over $10).
there was a swing dancing lesson before tha band started playing, with OKOM
played on the PA system.
The band had guests: Amnon Ben-Artzi on his new 1929 make trombone, Jacques
Sany on soprano sax and Yair Salzman on drums, in addtion to the regulars
Eli Preminger (trumpet and vocals), Ilan Smilan (banjo) and Tal Kuhn (bass).
Since I have mentioned them all before, you know I like them.  Jacques at
84 may be not only the best but also the youngest jazz musician in Israel!
What verve and imagination!  Amnon is excellent.  And the band swung like
hell.
Many a moon ago, Buddy Tate said taht dancers put soul into the music.  Not
being a musician I wouldn't know, but the Friday session certainly
corroborated those words!  Some great dancers there, I believe - mostly the
Holy-Lindy Landers.  Towards the end it was like at the dance contest - one
couple showing its mettle, then another and another; although there was no
prize, this lasted for over 10 minutes, with the band playing its a.. of
all that time!
Again, most of the musicians were much younger, and so was the public; even
my friends who came were much younger than yours truly!  Other than they,
the rest of the public might have included one or two in their '30's but I
doubt it!
And it was the only place in Israel where I had Chimay (a Trappiste beer)
served in Chimay glasses.  A bit on the potent side - 9% abv.
Cheers