[Dixielandjazz] Waller tribute

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 20 14:15:57 PDT 2013

The guy who said that Bill Charlap's more meditative approach was to be expected,
well, he simply knows Charlap's music,
versatile pianist who worked with Gerry Mulligan, inventive
and not a man who settles for routine. Easy to look up on-line I'd think.

not so much associated with "OKOM" as Rossano Sportiello.

Rossano I remember playing very fast stride in which every note rang out clear.
The fingers producing that music were at the same time just a blur.

His hero is Ralph Sutton, who used to enthuse about his hero the great Wallero,

Fatso Wallero --

but among other directions Rossano can go there is the Dave McKenna;
and he will also demonstrate some of the music which distinguished Ellis Larkins

His first two CDs are certainly OKOM-

ciao!