[Dixielandjazz] Scottish National Jazz Orchestra

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 14:01:20 PDT 2013

David wrote:

Has there been discussion of this group? Not Dixieland, but good work on  Rhapsody in Blue==Gershwin and Paul Whiteman.

Hi David,

There's been no discussion so far on this list. You've possibly heard them on their recent North American trip (NYC, Rochester Jazz Festival, and various festivals in Canada), which is their first visit to your side of the pond. The band has a huge reputation in UK and Europe and undertakes some very interesting projects covering various aspects and eras of jazz big band history (although admittedly not pre-bop music so far, with the exception of some early Ellington). The standard of musicianship is outstanding, both in section playing and solo strength, as are the charts they play. A couple of the SNJO players also play in my band: tenorist Konrad Wiszniewski and trombonist Phil O'Malley both enjoy playing the music of Bix and Jelly (they love the opportunity to play jazz history, rather than just read about it or listen to recordings) as well as the more modern stuff we also play.

If you like big band jazz, watch out for SNJO in your neck of the woods: I think they'll undertake a lot more touring as theiur reputation spreads.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson