[Dixielandjazz] FW: Sitting down

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jul 10 01:06:49 PDT 2013

Marek wrote:
>I had not seen Bunk or the Lewis band live, but pictures show those bands
sitting and playing.  So perhaps it was not just the Preservation Hall.

Of course, I have seen all those really old pictures, and a lot of bands
were sitting down.  If the intention is to imitate those old bands/photos,
then that is the correct posture.

>I have seen bands playing both ways; what matters is how they play, not
whether they sit or stand!

But, it does matter!  How many of these kids (who we are supposedly trying
to attract) have seen bands sitting down amongst the groups they tend to
see?  They will hear the music with their eyes even before it enters their
ears, and if they can't even see you because you're below the front row of
standing audience, then out the door they will go.......

Jim