[Dixielandjazz] Sitting Down

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Jul 8 13:06:20 PDT 2013

Jim Kash wrote in part:

I'm quite shocked by the amount of bands I see on YouTube with the front line sitting down.  I couldn't pull it off sitting down in a million years.

Last nite I was at the opposite end of the club from the stage playing a solo on "Shout 'Em Aunt Tillie" playing at a table that had been a bit frantic in their talking (American tourists!).  I managed to get them to quiet down & listen with that little trick, and could never pull that off while sitting in a chair on the stage.

(snip)

Yeah, those lazy bums. Playing a 3, 4, or even 5-hour gig doesn’t bother me.

To change the subject slightly, I once had a horn player call me and suggest that we pay the singer less because she only sang 3-songs per set.

I told him that was a good idea. In fact, since the rhythm players play all the time and the horn players only part of the time, it would also be a good idea to pay the horn players less. I never heard another word on the subject.

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551