[Dixielandjazz] Paul Whiteman "Concert" LP query. Take-2

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Fri Jul 5 15:01:41 PDT 2013

RE:
"listening to "The Concert Whiteman: Paul Whiteman and his Concert Orchestra
(1927-34)", "A Box Office Production", and "Presented" by "JJA" on the
label...Anyone got some history of this typically fascinating low-budget
production (which nonetheless has good sound)?"
=====================================
Just an educated guess. For a few years I shared
a warehouse with Jerry Valburn and Howard Goldberg.
Jerry produced "Jazz Archives", "Aviva" and a few other labels.
Howard produced "Box Office" and "Curtain Calls" and
other labels that I can't recall.

Both of them used 78 rpm recordings as source.
Jerry had thousands of tapes, mostly Duke Ellington.

I know that Jerry moved to Florida after selling his Ellington
collection to the Smithsonian.

Last I heard, Howard was living in Queens, N.Y.

Jerry was a sound engineer by profession. I believe
he worked at W.O.R. (mutual broadcasting system) in
New York and from what I gathered, Howard was the manager
of a record store on lower Broadway (Manhattan) before
going into the record producing biz.

The Whiteman release sounds to me like Howard's idea.
Jerry could have engineered it. He had complete recording
and editing equipment in his basement when he lived in
Plainview, Long Island, New York.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com