[Dixielandjazz] Paul Whiteman "Concert" LP query. Take-2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 4 22:44:38 PDT 2013

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
> ...listening to "The Concert Whiteman: Paul Whiteman and his Concert Orchestra (1927-34)", "A Box Office Production", and "Presented" by "JJA" on the label...Anyone got some history of this typically fascinating low-budget production (which nonetheless has good sound)?

Dear Mike,
You know me, I couldn't let it go.
8>)
Googling threw up an advert for another JJA Box Office Production:
LP19795 — The Songs of Alec Wilder, with a note  "record company information is provided. One of the persons involved with the pressing of this LP communicated to the author (Akkerman) that it was a “pirated do-it-yourself” album and only “a couple hundred” copies were pressed."
Further searching revealed (Johnny Hartman Discography) that

"JJA (Jazz Journalists Association) Records, A Box Office Production. Inarguably and extracategorically, JJA Records was the finest "unofficial" (that is to say, bootleg) label. . .ever. The sub-rosa outfit probably existed from sometime in the 1970s through the '80s. Where they obtained much of the material is anyone's guess. This particular JJA issue contained material that was recorded for various official original cast recordings but which, for whatever reason, never made the final cut. I remember buying my copies, from under the counter, from an applicance store on the north side of NYC's 42nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. I feel reasonably ceretain that this was the, um, headquarters for the record operation. The releases were distinguished by, for the most part, uncommonly good sound quality. . .considering the source. There was never any label art on any JJA issue with which I came into contact. All were strictly from the plain brown wrapper school of design with a affixed sticker describing the contents. There were dozens upon dozens of releases with emphasis on Broadway shows and film scores, but within those parameters the material partook of a great deal of jazz as well. I searched on the net for a complete JJA discography but couldn't find one. Seems like a good project for those among us who have some time on their hands. One can find a very small listing, however, on the web record dealer consortiumhttp://www.gemm.com. [Bill's note: try  http://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?field=ARTIST+OR+TITLE&wild=JJA  ] I am uncertain as to whether the operation ever made the transition to CDs. Nor do I have the foggiest noption what the Jazz Journalists Association was. Methinks, however, that it must have been an attempt at a quasi-official loophole to accord the label some legal wiggle room should the vinyl have hit the fan. I would be grateful for any information readers of this post be able to provide regarding JJA Records."

My search of Jazz Journalists Association (incorporated in 1985) did not mention LPs being issued, so it may be an earlier group, as mentioned above.
http://news.jazzjournalists.org/2013/06/the-jazz-journalists-association-a-25-year-retrospective/
http://www.jazzhouse.org/noff/?page_id=10

Other LPs in the Box Office Production series include:
A Connecticut Yankee/Inside USA LP
http://www.used-and-rare-books.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=69875
plus
http://www.popsike.com/PATTY-ANDREWS-VICTORY-CANTEEN-RARE-LIVE-1971-DEMO-OC-LP/390338889524.html
and
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/music-broadway-1933-oc-lp-ethel-127285285
"Johnny Mercer Sings" (a Box Office Production) JJA#19775 Vol. 2.
this?
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/harry-warren-uncut-musicals-oc-lp-176141769

I hope this helps.
As with me, it's probably much more than you wanted to know.
Very kind regards,
Bill.